- Flat non-stick pan
- Ladle (to pour cheela batter)
- 1 cup Cheela batter
- 1/4-1/2 cup Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Onions finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger finely grated
- 1/2-1/3 tsp Green chilies finely chopped (optional if you like spicy)
- 1/4 tsp Rock salt
- 1/4 tsp Black salt if not available, substitute for your regular salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
- Add all ingredients - cheela batter, salt, turmeric, carom seeds, tomatoes, onions, cilantro leaves, ginger, green chilies - into a mixing bowl. Mix everything well.
- Medium heat a flat non-stick pan.
- Take a ladle full of the prepped batter and pour on the pan.
- With the back of the ladle, spread lightly so the cheela doesn’t break OR rotate the pan to spread it as much as possible.
- Within a few minutes, you will see the edges begin to leave the pan.
- Flip it and cook; pressing down lightly with a spatula for thorough cooking.
- Flip it over again. When you see light brown spots on the cheela, you know it’s done.
- Enjoy the cheela hot! Consider dipping it in some chutney.
This Tomato Cheela will help you check off four boxes in Dr. Gregor's Daily Dozen checklist:
- Other Vegetables
- Spices (1/4 tsp turmeric)
- Greens (cilantro in chila and chutney